Sunday, September 16, 2007

Web 2.0 Award Winners

This was a lot of fun to look through. Here is a list of things that I came across and really liked.

Biblio.com
This has an easy search engine for out of print books. I found two right away. 'The Elephant and the Bad Baby' (One of my favorite children's books.) and 'The Long Way Round'. And they were pretty cheap too! There is also a section of bargain books for $2 or less! And you search by genre.
A cool search I think we would be able to pass on to our student patrons here at the library would be the Textbook search. Maybe they could save some money?

Yelp
I feel like this would be useful at a Reference desk. Maybe more so in a public library. But it's so easy to use. I love the different categories it gives you to choose from, like 'Best of', 'Browse by Category', and 'Popular events of This Week'. All of them searching in whatever town you want! Even just around your particular neighborhood. The website, 'Upcoming', is also pretty good. It's pretty similar except you can find events that are coming to you soon.

Meebo
I think this is the Delicious of chatting! What a great idea. Sheri said we looked at this earlier in Lib. 2.0 but maybe I wasn't as into such things at the time. But I'm definitely into it now! It's so useful because you can get access to any chat line. And you can take it to any computer! Once again, very helpful especially if you work somewhere where you are always running around to different desks and what not.

Things that I found for fun...

One Sentence
If anything, this page was just a lot of fun to look at! I've never even thought of such a thing before. Some are really funny while others are very heart breaking. All those emotions packed into one sentence.

Pandora
Now, I had a last.fm account and loved the idea of it but found it to be messy and not user friendly, so I gave up. But then I came across Pandora and this is more my style. Much cleaner and user friendly page. And being such a music lover, I'm on it!

Fuzzmail
I love this! It's active email! I sent one to Sheri and you can see how many times it takes me to try and spell a word! It's just really cute and funny. Makes it more personable and that's always fun.

But I must say that out of everything, I just love Delicious. It has been the most helpful to me and I try to get as many people on it as possible just so they can see what a life saver it can be.



No comments: